Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2 Year Check-Up

Collin had his 2 year doctor visit yesterday and it went really well! No shots... which always helps! He hasn't gained much weight since he was there at 18 months but the nurse said that was normal b/c they get taller and thin out. Which he has gotten taller! I believe he is 36 1/2 in. tall(95%), his weight was in the 75%, and his head is the 45%. His noodle has grown a whole bunch but the nurse wasn't sure she got a great measure on it. Collin wasn't having her wrap that thing around his head! He pinched a major fit.
Once the doctor came in Collin was a different boy. He talked to the doctor and told her the things he knew. She told us that he is very bright boy and we should be really proud of the job we are doing! As his parents Todd and I felt very happy with the feedback she gave us. She listened to his heart which is very healthy and looked in his ears and mouth which also look great. She told us that Collin is currently getting his two year molars... yeah! She talked to us about the "terrible 2's" and helped us understand why a child may act out during this stage in their life. Overall it was a great visit and Todd and I left feeling very happy!
Collin now says 3 word sentences... just a couple of weeks ago he was only using two words at a time! He often speaks of himself in third person. "Collin's bed" or "Collin cookie please". We have to be very careful what we say around him or else he will repeat it! He enjoys watching his little DVD player and Mickey Mouse or Little Einsteins are his videos of choice. He also watches Wall-E and Nemo but it just doesn't have the same effect on him! He plays really well with his toys and when his Dad is home it is a requirement that he play with him! When he feels like it he will count to 10 and he is started to recognize colors. He can pick out things that are red and blue and we are working on green and yellow now.
He prefers to eat any kind of noodles, ham, bologna, hot dogs. His snacks of choice are yogurt, bananas, toast with peanut butter, and of course his favorite M&M's. He drinks water and milk still so well so I'm happy about that and gets juice usually once a day.
I am proud to annouce that today was Collin's first day with NO bottle. We threw them away this morning. He told them "bye-bye" and I had a talk with him that he is a big boy and he doesn't need them anymore. He was only taking one at nap and bedtime. I am happy to say that he did not cry when he went down for a nap. He drank a little milk from his sippy cup and then put it down, asked me for a bottle once, I told him "no, we threw them away", he drank some more out of his sippy cup and next I looked at him he was fast asleep. I hope tonight goes as smoothly!

5 comments:

The Stump Clan said...

He is getting so big, way too fast! Good luck tonight, I hope it goes as well as earlier!

katie said...

Wow, no crying! He is such a good kid!

barb said...

how DID it go?

The Hargrove's Four said...

SO GOOD! He only asked that one time and now I officially have a "big boy" with no bottle. He hasn't cried for it at all. I feel very lucky for how easily it went. I guess that means he was ready to let go!

barb said...

That is good news. if only all child-rearing went so smoothly!